This recipe is PERFECT if you love spaghetti or pasta but you want a hefty serving without all the carbs and calories. I mean one recommended serving of pasta never seems to be enough since its so damn delicious!
Replacing the wheat noodles with a vegetable like spaghetti squash, your getting only 31 calories per 100 gram and 7 g of carbohydrates compared to 100 g of pasta which adds up to 352 calories and 71 grams of carbs! Its just a bonus that spaghetti squash tastes just as amazing.
With spaghetti squash your also getting small amounts of almost ALL of the essential nutrients. Here is just a few of many nutrients that you benefit from eating a spaghetti squash.
- Vitamin C and A = ANTIOXIDANTS, boosts your immunity, aids in wound healing assists in collagen making which has anti-aging properties.
- Lutein & Zeaxanthin = these are extra antioxidants that protect your eyes from age related diseases
- B6 = B vitamins play an important role in carb, protein and fat metabolism (energy metabolism) and hemoglobin production
- Fiber = making you feel full longer helping with weight reduction, regulates your bowels and blood sugar, and helps to lower cholesterol
- Folate = Another B vitamin, which is essential for healthy fetus growth during pregnancy, promotes healthy function of the brain (has been linked to lowering depression symptoms), reduces oxidative stress preventing aging and many more
- Modest source of minerals such as Zinc, Copper, Calcium and Phosphorous
With all of these amazing health benefits, I bet your DYING to know this recipe, so here it is:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees,
- Slice this bad boy right down the middle, I’d suggest a big sharp knife cause these things are tough to cut. (or in my case I got my older brother to cut it for me :))
- Scoop out the seeds and the middle part
- On both halves of the squash, spread some olive oil on the sides and in the middle, sprinkle a dash of salt and some black pepper all over it.
- Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes
- Scoop out as much as desired, it should come out stringy like spaghetti
- Top with the turkey sauce
Extra Lean Ground Turkey Sauce:
- In a large pot, drizzle a bit of olive oil in the bottom, Sautee 1/2 white onion chopped, 4 garlic cloves, 1 tomato chopped, chopped mushrooms, chopped 1/2 pepper, and 6 chopped basil leaves, keep cooking until onions begin to soften so about 5 minutes
- Break the extra lean ground turkey into smaller pieces and add to the pot, season with about 1/4 tsp of oregano. Keep cooking and stirring until turkey is completely brown (7-10 minutes)
- Pour in some tomato sauce (I used just a basic, organic sauce from Walmart, that had natural ingredients), I used about 3/4 of the can, and bring all of this to a boil. Then reduce the heat, and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Pour desired amount over the spaghetti squash and BOOM. You got a healthy spaghetti recipe.
Hope you enjoy!