Lets talk MORNING ROUTINES! I am such a morning person and if you know me you know that I rarely sleep in, I’m always up at 6 or 7 making coffee or enjoying the sunrise. I just love the start of a new day and I feel 10x more productive in the mornings, I have always been that way. I also love mornings because they set the tone for my whole day depending on what I do, which is why I have a morning routine. I feel like it is so important to have a morning routine and if you don’t have one then you should try to implement one. I am going to share with you guys what my mornings look like ALMOST every morning, I mean I’m human and sometimes my routine just doesn’t happen, but if you don’t have a routine or want some ideas for a new one, then keep on reading. I mean, what works for me may not work for you and maybe not in the same order which is totally okay. Maybe try 1-2 of mine and mix and match into some that you like and create your own!
Morning routines are important because like I just mentioned it kind of makes or breaks the rest of my day and its super healthy for my mental & physical well-being. It gives me some me-time to do self-care, a bit of blogging, enjoy my coffee and just start my day off right. When I don’t take that time for myself each morning I can totally notice it throughout the day. I feel kind of thrown off, I’m more reactive and not as calm in situations, I’m more anxious and just overall don’t feel as good as I normally would. Even if I can get 1 of them into my morning before I start my day then that helps tons.
I’m not like crazy specific on what I like to do in the mornings but there a few things that I make a priority for myself to do in order to start my day right.
1. Okay so the first thing I do when I open my eyes is stretch. And I make a point not to look at my phone first thing in the morning cause thats just not a good way to start the day. Cause then I’ll just mindlessly look at instagram or snapchat and just be unproductive so I try not to do that. So I just literally do a 3-4 minute stretch on my bed, It’s nice and dark in my bedroom when I get up so I’m basically just slowly waking up my body. I do maybe a downward dog, stretch out my glute’s and my back, I’ll do a quick neck stretch just to get some blood flow going. This feels honestly amazing right when you get up, like omg its the best and my body thanks me.
2. The second thing I do is meditate and yes I am still in bed when I do this. SOMETIMES I meditate in the sun room but I’m still wrapped in a big blanket. I know some people sit in a chair with their feet on the floor, some on the ground, but I like too in my dark bedroom where its warm and cozy. Honestly it’s whatever works for you. I wrap up in my blanket, put a pillow behind me so I’m sitting upright and I meditate for about 5-10 minutes depends on the day. Sometimes I’ll do 15 minutes if I’m really into it. I use an app called Headspace, its an amazing guided meditation app, this guys voice is sooo soothing and he guides you through a meditation every day. He has a british accent and its just like a lullaby omg I could listen to his voice all day. I also like headspace cause it keeps track of the amount of minutes you’ve meditated, your streak and it also gives you like mindfulness, positive quotes throughout the day. Meditation is seriously so amazing, it makes you less reactive to situations and your thoughts, this literally saved me from my OCD, anxiety and my insomnia. Its all about letting go, accepting what is, and learning that your separate from your thoughts. I recommend everyone to try it, even just 5 minutes a day is so beneficial.
3. So after I meditate I go and make my morning drink that I drink religiously almost every morning. I got this idea from The Skinny Confidential – His and Hers podcast (you guys should check it out they have lots of good information on there). What I do is fill up my water bottle which is 700 mL I think, and then I cut a slice of lemon and squeeze the juice in. Then I pour in a cap full of apple cider vinegar, and add two pinches of pink himalayan salt into my water. So lemon, apple cider vinegar, himalayan pink salt in my water every morning. It actually tastes good and there are so many benefits to start off your day when you drink this combo. The Himalayan pink salt is full of minerals so your getting those in your body right away. The salt and apple cider vinegar combo has a variety of health benefits, here are a few reasons why you should incorporate them in your life as well:
- For one, apple cider vinegar (ACV) helps with digestion by detoxifying the digestive system and eliminating toxins from your organs. Lemon also benefits your digestive health.
- ACV lowers cholesterol
- Aids in weight loss because it reduces water retention, increases your metabolism and suppresses your appetite making you feel full.
- Lemon and ACV are both great for healthy skin and getting rid of acne AND killing bad breath (your welcome)
- ACV can also help whiten your teeth because it kills bacteria in your mouth and gums
- Controls blood sugar
- Vitamin C which helps ward off diseases and builds your immunity. Fights off infections because of its anti-bacterial properties.
- Maintains pH balance in your body
- Rich source of other vitamins/minerals like calcium, potassium and magnesium.
- Promotes liver to flush out toxins
- Helps in weight loss as well because it increases your metabolic rate
Now go try this as part of your morning routine and you’ll notice the benefits right away!
4. So I’m drinking my lemon water with ACV and pink salt, and then I’ll go put coffee on for when I’m done drinking it, I usually do a quick clean up of the house and I’ll put a podcast on when I’m doing so. So thats always my next step: playing a podcast while I’m cleaning up the house, making my bed, doing whatever I need to do to tidy up and being productive while doing it. Some of my favourite podcasts are The Skinny Confidential – His and Hers podcast, Grind and Be Grateful with Marie Wold, Smart Passive Income with Pat Flynn and Big Leaps Tiny Changes, are my go-to’s lately. FYI podcasts are free and you can learn so much about basically any topic from them!
5. After that I will make breakfast which is usually eggs and avocado with sweet potatoes, smoothie or oatmeal, and then my coffee is usually ready around this time. So I will sit and have my coffee, eat breakfast then I will usually work on my blog post, or do research for my blog or something like that. I like to take my mornings super slow and enjoy my coffee and breakfast.
6. On a perfect morning, I like to go for a walk after I eat breakfast and coffee just because I like to get moving a little bit in the mornings. My workouts are usually in the evenings so I don’t normally workout in the mornings unless my evening is full. A lot of the times when I do go for a walk I will have a podcast playing in my ear as well.
So this is what a “perfect” morning in my books would look like. I mean like I said, I don’t get every single one done in the morning all the time, but this is ideally what my mornings look like. I just love having me time in the mornings and waking up with no stress or anything and making self-care a priority. It really does make a HUGE difference when your going on the rest of your day. Even if you have to wake up a bit earlier to make yourself a priority first, I recommend doing so.
At the end of the day YOU matter first, and you cant be at the top of your game if you don’t take care of yourself before anything else. A morning routine is a perfect way to incorporate some self-care first thing in the morning and it could honestly be anything! It could be a workout, face masks, a big healthy quiet breakfast, yoga, skin care routine, bubble bath, journaling, whatever works best for you and whatever makes you feel ready for the day.
Hope this gave you some ideas for your own morning routine.