Matcha, matcha, matchaaaaaa, you bring so much joy to my life. This has been a new obsession of mine and I just can’t get enough. I remember trying matcha when it first become popular like 5-6 years ago? I don’t really know. But then I kind of just forgot about how amazing it was and never went and bought it up until now, not sure why.
If you haven’t tried it yet, I highly recommend it because it tastes great (I think anyways) just depends on what you put it in, what you mix it with, temperature, etc. I preferably like it hott, like in a latte which I’m about to share the recipe with you guys. But its not bad cold, like in an iced latte or a smoothie or something like that. Whatever floats your boat!
Besides it tasting amazing, matcha actually has a lot of benefits that may surprise you, and might make you drink it a lot more often.
- Matcha is an antioxidant POWERHOUSE. It contains a certain kind of antioxidant called green tea catechins which aren’t found in other foods and matcha is filled with them. Catechins are the most potent and beneficial antioxidants available and matcha contains a specific catechin called EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate) that has strong cancer fighting properties. Antioxidants also protect your body from aging and other chronic diseases so drink up!
- Matcha is known to boost your metabolism and burn fat. There have been studies that show matcha increase your bodies own rate of burning calories (thermogenesis) from a normal 8%-10% energy expenditure to about 35% energy expenditure.
- It is also rich in the amino acid L-theanine which is known to promote a state of relaxation and well-being by effecting the brains function. L-theanine produces alpha waves in the brain which promotes a calm feeling, while on the other hand… stress promotes beta-waves in the brain making you feel uneasy and agitated. L-theanine may also improve memory and help you clear your mind.
- Rich in fibre, chlorophyll and vitamins providing you with an energy boost throughout the day.
- Matcha naturally detoxifies the body by removing heavy metals and chemical toxins. (chlorophyll, which gives it its natural green colour promotes the detoxification)
- Enhances the immune system from all of the vitamins A & C, iron, potassium, protein AND calcium. Also the antioxidant catechins that I mentioned earlier also help boost your immune system and fight disease, particularly cancer.
Now that you know all of the great benefits you get from matcha, here is the matcha latte that is my FAVOURITE. Tastes delicious, and is the perfect thing to sip on when enjoying a calm, quiet morning.
- Organic Matcha Powder
- Hot water
- Almond milk, or other non-dairy milk of your choice
- Sweetener such as organic, raw maple syrup, or stevia
- Spoon about 1 1/2 tsp of matcha powder into your mug
- Boil water, and put about 2 tbsp of hot water into the cup
- Add your sweetener next, about 1 tsp of organic maple syrup is what I use
- Heat up your milk (microwave or stove top) , about 1/2 cup (more if your mug is a bit bigger).
- Add your milk into the mug, then froth it up. (I use a handheld milk frother)
- Taste, then add a bit more sweetener if needed.
To try out your first batch of matcha and experience all of its amazing benefits head on over to Matcha Source! They have awesome starter kits that come with the whisk and frother for affordable prices. Matcha Source also has different varieties of matcha as well so you can take your pick. Go get yours today!
There you have it! Let me know what you guys think, or if you have anything you like to add to your matcha latte’s to make it better. Im always looking for more ideas!