I don’t know about you but I’m always looking for ways to get more plant-based protein into my diet. I just find that plant-based sources of protein make me feel better and are more nutritious with having 10x more fibre and nutrients, and 0 cholesterol and fat compared to animal sources. Also I watched this documentary called “Earthlings” today and it was about how animals are treated in slaughter houses in order to feed humans and it totally turned me off from eating anything from an animal. I eat mostly plant-based anyways, I occasionally eat eggs or other meat products but wow that documentary really opened my eyes. Like I was literally bawling watching it. Super graphic but if you want to learn more about the meat and dairy industry and animal cruelty…. you should watch it. Its on youtube actually if you want to check it out.
Anyways, chickpeas are my FAV plant-based protein source (if you follow me on instagram you’ll know this).
One cup of chickpeas contains 15g of protein along with essential nutrients such as Fibre, Folate, Phosphorous, Manganese, and Iron. They have a low GI (glycemic index) so they keep your blood sugars in check, they benefit your digestion cause they contain fibre (which also helps with weight control)
The best part is…. they are so so affordable and easy to incorporate into your diet. Like a can of chickpeas are like $1-$2. So naturally I always buy like 5 cans. Meat products are so expensive, like 2-3 chicken breasts can be 12-15 dollars. Uhm no thanks? Chickpeas are a budget-friendly way to get sufficient protein into your life.
No deli meat needed here!
I am so happy this recipe came into my life and now I’m so excited to share it with all of you! Raise your hand if you love potato salad or egg salad sammy’s?? Egg salad was my all time fav foreeevvverrr and I have constantly been seeking a healthier, more nutritious alternative. Well I finally have one! This recipe will be made very frequently in my house from now on.
I use a vegan mayo in this recipe because like I have mentioned before I try and steer clear of dairy as much as I can. I used Hellman’s vegan mayo I found in town which is super surprising. I didn’t even know Hellman’s made a vegan mayo but its really good. Its better then any other vegan mayo I have tried. That is not an easy thing to replace.
Toppings: I just did cucumbers and a thiiick slice of vegan cheese. If you wanna do spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, etc go for it! The chickpea salad in itself is so good nothing else will matter.
- 1 Can of chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 3-4 Tbsp vegan mayo (If your from lac du bonnet they have this at Dancyt’s!)
- 2 Thinly sliced green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper (doesn’t matter what colour there all G)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickles (this excites me)
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1 1/2 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 Tsp fresh dill (this makes it so good)
- 1-2 Tsps of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Add some sea salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- In a big bowl, throw the chickpeas in a medium size mixing bowl and mash them a little. I prefer to leave half whole and half mashed but its totally up to you. When there mashed they stay on the sandwich a little better. Whole chickpeas tend to roll right off your sandwich. I used a potato masher, but a fork works too
- Toss in your green onion, bell pepper and dill pickles, mayo and pickles and then stir it all together.
- Now you can stir in your mustard, dill, lemon juice and season with salt/pepper. Taste as you go in case you want to add more of something.
- You can serve this on a couple pieces of bread and make a sandwich, serve it on crackers or wraps! Whatever your preference is. I could literally eat this out of the bowl with a fork so I mean.. if that works for you then by all means. No judgments girl.
Once you try out this recipe I can assure you, you will be making it over and over again!
Its great for lunches because you can make a big batch of it at the beginning of the week and use it in sandwiches, salads, wraps, etc! This recipe that I posted made about 3-4 sandwiches depending on how thick you put it on your bread. I put it on pretty thick….. because who doesn’t love a big sammy for lunch?
Anyways, let me know what you guys think about this recipe! A few of you had already reached out to me over instagram asking for the recipe so I’m hoping you love it!
I hope you have a great Monday friends! Kick ass this week and crush some goals!