Comin’ at ya with a fresh, DELICIOUS and nutritious breakfast recipe to start your morning the right way.
If your looking at the title and thinking.. ew tofu? What the hell is that, it doesn’t have any taste, on and on and on. Don’t judge it before you’ve tried it! This recipe is delicious and insanely satisfying it filled me up for hours. Also its something a little different so whats not to love?
For all of you who don’t know what tofu is I’ll give you the low down:
Tofu is a food made out of soybeans, water and a coagulating agent and then pressed into solid white blocks. The process of making tofu is similar to how cheese is made from milk except tofu is made from plants making it a great meat substitute for vegans and vegetarians.
Tofu is very high in protein coming in at about 12 g for 4 ounces, low in calories and actually has an impressive nutrition profile with its high calcium and iron content with a little bit of dietary fibre (1 g for 4 ounces of tofu).m
Another great thing about tofu is that it has been shown to reduce the risk of diabetes, increase bone health (thank youuu calcium), and lower the risk of heart disease. All of these benefits are thought to be from the soybeans natural plant compounds called soy isoflavones.
Soybeans are actually one of the few plant-based protein sources that contain ALL of the essential amino acids required for healthy/regular bodily function, making it a complete protein source.
Tofu is one of those controversial foods and has been known to have kind of a bad rap due do it being an unfermented soy product. But from my own research I believe tofu is safe and its a nutritional powerhouse that should be implemented more in my diet. It also has a bad rap because a lot of people think its rubbery and flavourless but it all depends on how you cook it and what you cook it with!
This breakfast scramble is anything but rubbery and tasteless so I suggest you get your butt in the kitchen and give this one a go!
Time: Approx 15-20 minutes
– Extra firm tofu (about 1/4 of the block)
– Diced tomatoes, I used about 7 or 8 cherry tomatoes
– Handful of spinach
– 1/4 Sweet potato, cubed
– 1 Small onion diced
– 2 Cloves of garlic
-1 tsp cumin
-1/2 tsp turmeric
– 1 tsp paprika
– Optional toppings: Avocado sliced, (highly recommend for healthy fats), Salt and pepper to taste. Nutritional Yeast or dairy free cheese
- Sautee your onions for about 5-7 mins first in a bit of olive oil
- Then when the onions are softer, add in your garlic and chopped sweet potato, let that cook for another 5-7 minutes to soften the potatoes up
- Then crumble your tofu into the pan, and add your diced tomatoes, let that cook for about 10 minutes.
- While your waiting for the tofu to cook, mix your spices in a small bowl and add in 1-2 tbsp of water to make a bit of a sauce.
- Once your tofu is cooked, you can pour the sauce over top and stir until its all covered. This makes everything smell and taste so damn good.
- Last but not least, add in your spinach and dairy free cheese/nutritional yeast. Stir around and let cook until the spinach is wilted, then let it cook a couple minutes more all together.
- VOILA! Top with some avocado for extra deliciousness. Can also add in some salt and pepper to taste.
I was really surprised at how yummy this was and kept me satisfied for a long time which is always a bonus. Don’t you hate when you eat breakfast and then half hour later your like.. where the snacks at?
Let me know what your favorite tofu recipes are! I usually don’t cook with it but I’m definitely going to start. This breakfast scramble really peaked my interest anyways. One of my new years resolutions is to eat more plant-based.
If you try this recipe out let me know what you think and send me a pic!